Nostalgia – Day 26 #BEDN
What is Nostalgia? According to Oxford Dictionaries it’s – A sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past:
There are many things that can give you a feeling of nostalgia. Here’s a few of mine.
- What a wonderful world – my Mum. One of her favourite tunes.
- On the street where you live – I don’t know why, but this one reminds me of a day out when I was about 5 or 6. I’m wearing a pink coat with pleats on the back.
- Take it to the limit – well this one is ‘our song’. One of the first songs that we smooch danced to!
- A dusty under stairs cupboard – a mix of dust, plasticine, old boxes – my Aunties house when we were kids.
- Linseed oil – watching my Uncle Arthur oil his Hornby trains before setting them off on the little tracks.
- 4711 Eau de Cologne – My nan, she wore this when I was a child. She even put a dab in her hair.
- A chenille tablecloth – A golden cloth covered with a Nottingham Lace top cloth. Reminders of High Tea at Aunty Edith’s house. Thinly cut bread, ham, home made pickles, cakes and tea in proper china cups with saucers!
- A Christmas gift tag – This lives in the box with the Christmas decorations. It’s the only thing I have left that was given to me by my mum.
- A shot glass – It says – “Australia – it’s a bloody long way”. It sits on my kitchen window sill and is a constant reminder of my son in Brisbane.
What makes you nostalgic?